View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
It's debateable whether or not the first baseman had the bag or not. I don't think he did, but I wouldn't have overruled on that play unless I was 100% sure. My question is, why is the 1st base umpire so far out onto the infield to make this call. This is the same position Welke had earlier in the year when the pulled foot was missed in the Rockies game. I typically only venture 2 (maybe 3) steps onto the infield from the "A" position on a play at first, and I always have view of the bag on this type of play, and also a better look at a swipe tag. I think the base umpires positioning is the biggest problem here.
I have watched this video at least 10 times and I still don't think it was ever debatable. Out! Would I have said that if I was at HP, who knows? But I agree I probably wouldn't have overruled the play. Then again, if I was at HP!!!!!!! aint gong to happen..

I also agree he was not only too far away from the line, (more than 90, for Rut's sake), but locked hisself in by being on one knee.