View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

A bit closer. . .

in that the upper blocks are clear. But the most significant (from a rebounding perspective) differences remain - position of the lowest player and when players can enter the lane.

Mick, I think that Nick and I are responding to DanR assertion that NF went with the NCAA men's rule. Looking at one aspect of the rule in isolation is not appropriate. Most significant aspects of the rule are nothing like NCAA men.

I would suggest that NCAA women have it right for entering on rim (yet they allow entering on release). The reason they allow the women to step away may be related to the fact that women don't get up to the rim for rebounds, so they need the additional space for the longer rebounds that the men reach just by elevating. However, NCAA men have it right for entering on release - stepping on the block allows a bit better angle to begin with, and they have time to get into the lane and get postioned for the longer rebounds.

NF seems to have decided to use the least compatible of both sides of the rule, by keeping players as low as possible and making them wait for rim.