View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

The latest Email from the league's commissioner about the money still owed to the umpires. I'm owed for only one game, but many guys are owed for numerous games. One of my colleagues is owed over $1200.00!

Quote:
July 31, 2012

Dear Umpires,

As Commissioner of the Midwest Collegiate League, I would like to thank each of you for making this 2012 Season a success. First of all, as a League we have made great strides over the past seasons to improve both the quality level of our officials and their professionalism. In my opinion, each of you had contributed toward us achieving this goal. Secondly, I want to explain that on July 20th we received resignations letters from the Will County Cracker Jacks and the Illinois Lincoln Baseball Clubs. Both of these organizations were owned by Jamie Toole, an original founding member and board of director of the League. This sudden and calculated resignation by Jamie Toole to avoid paying his League fees has left us with an uncollected debt from him for the 2012 season was significant. This debt includes (without limitation) League fees as well as all of his prorated shares of the umpire fees. His actions are not your responsibility and it’s a matter that the League will be pursuing legally. With regard to back pay owed to any umpire, the Midwest Collegiate League will guarantee payment on all outstanding sums owed to each of you. Since July 20 we have revised the method in which we pay umpires and have paid everyone on site before or after each game. Thus, the outstanding debt is now isolated to a two week period of time. I am asking that everyone be patient with us for the next 14 days, while we as a League work through the financials so everyone can be paid. If anyone would like to speak with or email me directly, please do...
A couple things my colleagues have asked me:
  • How can he call this season a "success"? Many of us think it was a disaster.
  • Where did all the money go if each team had to pay $25,000 just to be in the league?

So O'Toole didn't pay his $50K for both teams. That means there should be $150,000 from the other 6 teams. Each team is responsible for its own overhead (lights, field maintenance, etc.). However, the umpires' pay comes out of the league's funds. How can there not be enough money to pay the umpires their remaining game fees?

As one of my colleagues commented, "Perhaps someone ought to investigate them, because something doesn't smell right at all."

Just sayin'...