View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

If I may,

This is from "Maximizing the Two Umpire System" By Jim Evans and Dick Nelson. ISBN 978-1-4243-1636-6. Chapter 2: "Defining and Understanding Resonsibilities" Pg 24.

7. RUNNERS LANE

"Regardless of the runner situation. the plate umpire is initially responsible for all interference calls involving the runner's lane. With no runner on base, the base umpire has to move into fair territory for position on the potential play at first on the batter-runner. With runner(s) on base, the base umpire is working in the infield. In neither of these two situations will the base umpire be in a position to get the proper angle for the interference call. However, if the plate umpire fails to call an interference that was obvious the the base umpire, the base umpire must step up and make the call. If there is a possibility of a runner attempting to score on the play, the plate umpire should assume a position on the first base line extended. "

I think all parties involved in the discussion should be satisfied with this authoritative interpretation of umpire responsibities involving the running lane. (But I doubt it).

Regards,

Mike C