View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
But you are not taking "their job". They are locked out. Management can replace them and have opted to do so. The bargaining process willm be used insure they return to "their job".

The replacement official loses "their job" when it is over. Whether they are hired back in the future or are dumped back in to the job market is not under their control or the unions.

It is easy to say "I'll never do that" until actually faced with the decision. Be it based on low ethics or high desire to achieve, each individual makes their own choice at the crucial time
While there is a small difference between a strike and a lockout here, the idea that you're not taking "their job" is false. By working for someone who is locking out people that you supposedly align with and aspire to be, you facilitate that company being able to continue operations while they prevent your ally from working. If NO ONE would work, the company could not continue to make money while preventing the locked out individuals from working.

I think it says volumes regarding the solidarity of GOOD officials that the NFL was unable to persuade ANY D1 officials to work during this lockout. The fact that they had to go all the way to D3 / High School officials means MOST profession-respecting officials are not scabbing.

West Houston Mike