View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 04, 2012, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli View Post
The call belongs primarily to the plate umpire because he has a better angle on the position of the runner's feet as he approaches first base. While the base umpire may have secondary responsibility on the call, I think it would have to be so obvious as to not "need" a call for him to get it. A play involves both a ball and runner. The base umpire is initially focused on the ball so that he can read the "trueness" of the throw. He can't at the same time observe the position of the feet of the runner. The plate guy can because he does not have to have primary focus on the ball. When there is an "untrue" throw that requires a swipe tag the base umpire can stay with the ball to the tag of the runner.

I submit it is very difficult to watch the ball and the position of the feet of the batter-runner simultaneously, thus making this violation the primary responsibility of the plate umpire.
This all depends on the mechanics you are using. In a 4 man that might be true. In a two person or three person that might not be true at all based on many factors. And I do not focus that much on the ball as a BU. I watch where the ball is being thrown mostly. If you follow the ball the play might blow up on you and not see everything. And I did not say that the PU was would not be watching this, but to act like neither umpire can call this is silly too. I simply said that both can call this if they see it. It is about angles and in some plays the PU is not on the line directly or can be screened.

Peace