View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Mike, this is uncalled for. You've posted numerous times what you think this rule or that rule SHOULD be. Many of us have. He cares, so do you, so do I, so do most of us here.
I don't think it is. I understand it, but solely as an umpire, why do we care about what we think is fair or not? How many times have you heard an umpire make up or bend a rule to be "fair"? Or this or that is not going to happen in my game because it isn't fair?

Many believe it isn't fair to allow a player to top the ball and hit a slow roller in the SP infield, but it's legal? And if you think that is an exaggeration, there have been some serious arguments on the Stadium field at the A level because there have been players come in and do just that. It is almost an automatic base hit, but it is legal.

I care about the consistency among rules, the ability to enforce them and the manner of application, and hopefully the ability to find logic though we all know that is a dream. IOW, how does it affect me as the umpire. Are there some rules I believe to be unfair or need fixing? Sure, that why there are rule changes. But as the umpire, it isn't my job to worry about fair unless the situation is not covered by a rule(s).

All this talk about the intention of the batter to keep the ball foul. What about the intention of the fielder who throws the glove from 20' to keep the ball foul? Is that fair? AFAIC, it is because the rule says it is.