View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
Recently at the ASA Class B state tournament we had this situation. Runner on Second base touches third and goes home on a single to left field.

Coach notices that the umpire did not make a call on the runner.
Why would there be a call? You did not indicate there was a play, so there would not be a call.

Quote:
Before the ball goes dead coach has the pitcher throw the ball to the catcher and then touch home plate...still no call....so, the catcher runs toward the dugout where the catcher and runner do the two step before the runner is tagged out.

Here are my questions.

1. I thought to appeal all you had to do was touch the missed base OR touch the runner that missed the base???? Why wasn't the runner called out when we touched the base.
Did the catcher indicate this was an appeal?

Quote:
2. When the catcher went to tag the runner by the dugout, where is the baseline considered. Can the runner run anywhere to avoid the catcher?
The moment the catcher moves to tag the runner, the base path is established as a direct line from the runner to the base.

Quote:
3. The coach said he would have never noticed if the umpire would not have just starred at the home plate. I saw this in the WCWS and there was a big discussion on whether or not this was correct mechanics by the umpire. What are your thoughts.
Umpire shouldn't be staring at anything and should act as if nothing out of the norm occurred.