Thread: Free Kick Play
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This is what I was thinking of. But given this play, I'm not sure I agree with the rest of this sentence. By running 15 yards OOB and taking a blocker with him, he's definitely participating, even if the play ends shortly after he re-enters.

I just can't see flagging R here but giving K a pass, since K's illegal actions occasioned R's.
Not true. R's foul occurred significantly before anything K did illegally. K was blocked OOB, K tried to return, then R went out of bounds and participated by blocking. That should be flagged the moment he left the field of play and then blocked. You don't know (yet) that K is going to foul.

You may, or may not, still have a foul on K later in this play, either by participating in the actual play or as you described, occupying a blocker. However, I think you'd get some debate on the idea that K running out of bounds 15 yards occupied a blocker. The players are supposed to know the rules - if K doesn't return immediately, R should know to ignore him. I can see your side too though, especially with the K player running right in the restricted area - near enough to inbounds that R feels like he needs to stay with his man.

West Houston Mike