View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I was T, and blew the whistle for a T. We got together and decided to go with BI instead.

In hind sight, 10-3-4 justifies a T. While I don't hate the BI call, I think I would have preferred a T.
As soon as the ball ceased to be in contact with the player's hands, he must not make contact with it again while the ball is within the cylinder. If he does, that's BI.
If the the ball has left the cylinder, then he can't infringe upon 10-3-4 to make a play on it while holding onto the ring. If he does, then the technical foul occurs prior to his tap or try and the ball becomes dead, so no goal could be scored. While that outcome may essentially be the same as calling BI, it technically is not BI.
BTW I had a similar play in a Regional Semi-Final last season and T'd the 6-10 center for one of the teams. He missed a dunk and while still holding onto the ring tried to knock the ball into the basket. He made contact with the ball and the ball was out of the cylinder when he went after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
This is a HTBT play for me. I'm not of the opinion that just because he began swatting at the ball, he was automatically out of danger in terms of returning to the floor, which is why I would have to see the situation to judge clearly. From your OP, it's no clear when he begins swatting at the ball if he is out of danger below him.

And, by swatting at the ball, do you mean he made contact with the ball?

If he's in danger with regards to players below him, and he never makes contact with the ball while swatting, I have nothing.
You are using an incorrect standard to judge this situation. You are trying to use whether he is still in danger at the time while you should be using whether the player is gaining or attempting to gain an unfair advantage.

The player is permitted to hang on the ring to protect himself from injury. However, that is all that he is allowed to do. He cannot take part in the game action while there. To do so, would be to gain an advantage from hanging on the ring and that infringes upon 10-3-4. He should be penalized as soon as he makes a play for the ball.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 06:44pm.