View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: can i change my vote?

I agree Iverson hasn't consistently made those around
him better, but last night he was great. He would have
had 15+ assists if his teamates made layups. Moreover, "the
best defense (sometimes) IS a great offense." Iverson literally took the NO guards out of the game with foul trouble.

As far as hard working, "many coaches" look at steals
for hussle stats:

http://www.nba.com/history/all_time_...sSPGQuery.html

While Iverson's steals PG stats may go down as he gets older and slower, right now he's still ahead of some of the most legendary "hard workers" in the history of the game.

Another thought, regarding making those around you better,
would Magic or Stockton be at the top of the assist list if
they hadn't played with the likes of Kareem and Malone? It's
a chicken or the egg kind of question, and I think they were
both great passers, but I wonder. Iverson doesn't have anyone even close to pass to. Nor did Jordan.

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach Given that he's adjusted his game to score like that only when needed, and that he does this all at less than 6 feet and 160 pounds, and that I just saw him play in person, I'm ready to make an argument for him!
I understand your point. But being considered the greatest player of all requires more than individual stats. Does he make the others around him better? I heard many coaches say that the best players nedd to be the hardest worker on the team. Does he fit this? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong. He's very talented. But the best ever? Ask Larry Brown and see what his answer is to that question.