View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lies, Damned Lies, And Statistics (Mark Twain) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
When you give us all this information without any rule references or case plays to back it up, then you are offering your opinion, not facts.
BktBallRef: I can certainly understand your desire for rulebook, or caseplay, references, I also like such references, but your statement seems just a little too strong for me. Information can be factual, not an opinion, without references. References would make the factual information easier to check, but it can still be factual rather than an opinion. Zebras are black and white. That's a fact, not an opinion. I haven't given you any references, but that still makes it a fact. I like zebras better than I like impalas. Now that's an opinion. If I say that zebras are black and pink, that's wrong, it's nonfactual. It's not an opinion, it's just wrong. It can be wrong because I'm ignorant, it can be wrong because I'm lying, it can be wrong because I don't know the color of a zebra and I'm guessing, it can be wrong because I mistyped the statement, it can be wrong because I'm not a native speaker of English and I thought that pink meant white, or it can be wrong because it's fictional, but it's just wrong, and nonfactual, not an opinion.

Just my opinion. Wait? Maybe it's a fact? Or, maybe I'm lying? Are my pants on fire?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 06:26am.