View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 04:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

I could write volumes on this but I made the switch to a smaller chapter so that the time investment was not as severe, which was best for me and my family. There is something to be said for not driving over an hour one way to attend a meeting or the only offered training from the chapter, let alone the games themselves. The smaller chapter is closer to home and not fraught with as nearly as many problems as the larger. I'm a subvarsity official that wants to work varsity one day but I'm realistic enough to know I'm working the right level right now. This has nothing to do with the quality or level of the games I'm working. It isn't about the politics of how games are assigned.

What I'm frustrated with is losing the ability to work games in a chapter that is a better fit for me due to some serious political struggles going on at a level well above my head. It is not as easy for me as "go join the other guys."

I'm not looking for pity, I understand this is the choice I made when putting my lot in with the loser. I have to admit I was quite surprised to hear our chapter lost an entire school district after having just gained all of it not that long ago.

If I wanted to invest more time and energy into driving all over to attend meetings and training, I'd do it. Heaven knows I already do so for football, including all of those meetings that mbcrowder talks about. If it's going to come down to the point where working games eats too much into my life, then basketball will get dropped and I'll stick with working baseball and football.

Last edited by Welpe; Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 04:54pm.