Thread: Pitching Change
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Don't forget the most important part of this mechanic. While you're telling the pitcher which base the runners are on, make sure to emphasize each runner with a dramatic point in her direction! This is just in case the pitcher isn't fully aware of where first, second or third base might be.

I've had a real run of partners this year that do this...and it does tend to grind my gears. I have to fight back the urge to scream, "Get back to your position! She has a coach for for that!".

The worst was a partner I had few years ago. There was a pitching change. I was the base umpire and stood back to watch the warm up throws. They end and I head back to my position...but the plate umpire doesn't. He just stands there, mask off, in front of the plate, staring at me. Well, I'm sure that there's nothing I'm missing, so I just stand there staring back.

Finally he points at the pitcher and yells, "Go tell her!". So I yell back, "Go tell her what?". He says, "The situation".

I hate this and don't want to be any part of it. So I kind of shake my head and point back at him, as if to say, "Be my guest".

Apparently he's not only convinced that this is the correct procedure, but that it's the base umpire's responsibility and duty. He puts his hands on his hips like he's getting all agitated because I'm not complying fast enough...so I decide to stand there a little longer staring right back!

Now I start to feel like I'm delaying the game, so decide to end our Mexican standoff. I slide over a few steps toward the pitcher, lean in and quietly say, "Are you all ready, Pitch?". She nods and I add, "Okay, let's go".

I guess he figures we're good to go, because then he puts on the mask and gets back behind the plate! After the game I tried to convince him that we really, really don't need to do this...but I think that he remained unconvinced...

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Jun 25, 2012 at 06:57pm.