View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I disagree that this play is the same as the Frisk/Armbruster play because neither Frisk nor Armbruster hesitated in what they were doing. Each moved immediately in the direction that they were supposed to go and this is why the ruling was made as it was.

There was another play similar about a year or so later in which the batter hesitated, then proceeded and made contact with F2. That was ruled as interference on the batter. Wish I could remember the players and umpire (all MLB).

In this stich, the batter hesitated and even took a step toward his dugout (which is behind him). Therefore, because of this hesitation, I would rule the batter interfered.
It was a U3K Oz, not a batted ball. You need to give the batter (and catcher perhaps) the opportunity to realize it. That's where the hesitation comes in. Even on a batted ball that is near the plate the batter will often take a moment to locate it before running. A brief hesitation is normal, not abnormal so please don't try to use that as an excuse.

And don't forget who made the initial screw-up. Heck - if the batter accidentally kicks the ball in the vicinity of the plate it's not interference (Interp # 45 in the current MLBUM).

Last edited by Rich Ives; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 09:57am.