Thread: obstruction??
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm new to this forum but have been a Little League umpire for years. Two Little League rules covers this situation.

First, Rule 2.00 - Interference(a): "Offensive interference is an act by a member of the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was, in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules".

Second, Rule 7.09(e) - "Any batter or runner who has just been put out hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for interference by a teammate".

Granted the the runner who just scored and was returning to the dougout had not been "put out." But I think the rule still applies here especailly when supported by Rule 2.00 - Interference. Note neither of these particular rules require "intentional interference". So the runner advancing to home would be out for interference by his teamate.

I also agree with mbyron. You need to be right, understand why you are right, and be able to explain the interpretation for why your right. You will cause yourself a lot of grief if you mix up interference with obstruction. Also, be sure to refer to Little League rules and not OBR for Little League games. There are some important differences.