View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: OG

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
OG:

There seem to be two separate items covered in the original post (the way that I read it):

1) A hitter who after swinging at the ball strikes the catcher with the backlash of the bat and,
2) A hitter that steps out of the box with both feet while taking a sign and is “directed” back into the box under the threat of a strike being called.

If I have misunderstood these points I apologize.

All that said these are my two specific points for these items:

1) I will not get into an inane discussion about safety. It is important. All umpires should have safety in their mind . . . however it is not the only thing going.

The example of the batter swinging through is an example of a “big boy” ball hazard. That is just the “rub of the green” in ball played by older players. No umpire has the right to tell a catcher where to set up or to tell a batter how to bat . . . an umpire has the responsibility to NOT insert himself into a game other than just to “report” what happens. Any umpire that tries to position a catcher is guilty of being OOO.

2) The second issue appears to me to be quite simple (if I read the question correctly). We all know that a hitter, under any set of rules, must take a stance with both feet within the lines of the batter’s box (if not a hitter could legally take a stance where his feet where actually on Home Plate) so that cannot really be the issue.

This means that we are dealing with a hitter that steps out of the box with both feet to take a sign or re-compose himself.

Since the rule was rewritten I do not know one umpire in my local or college association that has called a “penalty” strike.

Now I ‘think’ this is what the question asks in the original post. So the ONLY time a ‘penalty’ strike is called if the game is delayed. This is not just a FED rule as we know that OBR has a directed pitch.

OG, safety is “A” priority but not the “ONLY” priority.

Tee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~`
Tee, ever told a catcher to stop "popping" or you just aint gonna see that corner breaking ball at the knees??? I do know you are much bigger than me(, but I would rather let F2 know he's "popping" than have the coach *****in bout me missing pitches. And, yes, I have seen this in the big boy leagues, not JUCO, yet.........