View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tee

I knew when taking my field there were a lot of responsibilities that came with it.

I suppose then the one thing that is ALWAYS stressed is Safey, wherever you go and whatever level you are at. Does it really matter on what level it is? Safety is and always will be a factor. Every thing you come in contact with whether it be sports, home or work has some degree of a safety factor that enters or at least should.

We as officials should ensure the safety of the coaches by making sure they are wearing their helmets (1st and 3rd should they be a player). The catcher wears equipment for a reason and why is he made to wear a cup, just because it is a rule? Why do we know check for the BESR embossment? Why do we check for the NOCSAE on helmets? I do not think, scratch that I know we do not do it only because it is a made up rule but we do it for safety and in some cases liability reasons.

If you wish to stand by on your field and allow the injury of a player in front of you with your knowledge that you could have prevented it then you live with it. I am sorry I could not be that way.

You mean to tell me that you or anyone else who has had a batter either slightly out of the batter's box or foot on the line of the box, you spoke nothing or warned that batter? Enough said.