View Single Post
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRef View Post
Seriously?---you make THAT staement about OPI; and then ask JR if HE has a case book.

The rule book is pretty clear on OPI---how in the world do you get your interp?

At times (actually most of the time) the pettiness between the two of you is tough to take (however, kind of like a car accident---you just can't look away). The two of you have so much to add, based on your experiences, to the experience of high school football. Coaches and officials will ALWAYS interpret differently issues that aren't black and white. The game of football is filled with gray areas and situations that warrant judgement. Nature of the beast, nature of the game, nature of life.
I am a two time state final official at the back judge position. I worked my first game that set about 9 or 10 state records for passing and yardage and in that game I had several personal plays where I had to rule on contact down the field. I even had a Big Ten/National Championship Referee review the tape and give pointers and comments on a couple of calls where I called defensive holding and he felt should have been DPI.

My crew talks about this aspect of the game several times in pre-game and during gatherings about when or how to call these types of plays. It is not petty to discuss these situations or to bring up when OPI takes place in relationship to illegal use of hands (which is this actual penalty) for contact with an eligible receiver. And it is not uncommon to see one of these players get knocked down and the coach of the team or the player is complaining the opponent violated a rule. This is where we get paid the big bucks, we have to determine which happen or if anything happen. Now the problem with these discussions on the football board is we often talk in circles because we do not have the breath of video to add to the discussions. And until someone wants to take over the APG role on this site, we will discuss these issues. But I think coaches want things called without knowing all the circumstances that apply. And when receivers and DB/LB make contact we have a lot of things to consider. That is not going to change because a coach thinks one thing should not be called. He also thinks IG should be called more too, but it does not make him right.

Peace