View Single Post
Old Wed May 30, 2012, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Yes I have a rulebook, casebook, Simplified and Illustrated book, Handbook and teach football officiating to the largest class in the entire area for new football officials.

You obviously do not understand what that wording in read means. It does not mean any contact is illegal. It means that a player running at you is a potential blocker (this is in the S&I book BTW) and based on technique or lack of proper technique players tend to run at defenders and not try to get free or make it clear they are trying to get free. And most coaches do not understand the rule anyway and think a receiver can be hit in any way if they are in front of the defender (like on a drag route). I cannot wait for the first time someone calls a foul for this in the 7 on 7 leagues this summer (we run camps with these leagues). This is where common sense comes into play; we cannot assume the defender knows why someone is running at them. If the offense wants us to give them the benefit of the doubt, they better either look away from defender or run in a manner that is clear they are not blocking. If they cannot do that, then I am not going to assume they are running a route. I am going to call what is likely and what easily shows up on tape. I am not going to assume I know what the coach is trying to do or what the play actually was called in the huddle or on the sideline. As I said, it is rare that defenses are that close on receivers, they usually are several yards off the line and this is clear when a receiver is running a route and not blocking. But if it is close, I am not calling a penalty just like in other parts of the game, it has to be obvious.

Peace