View Single Post
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Worked men's wreck league game last night w/ a junior partner on the plate. One out, runners on 1st & 2nd. We did flash IF signal to each other.

Batter hit a looping ball over shortstop, who turned toward the outfield to track it down. Partner called IF very quickly and when the ball landed well over the shortstop's head into the outfield, the offense was pretty steamed.

Lots of outcry and you gotta be kiddings. I thought maybe the coach would come out to talk to PU and perhaps we'd end up getting together to talk about it. As I'm thinking about what I'd do, I thought putting the batter on 1st and advancing each runner 1 base would be the appropriate correction.

But the coach never came out and the game continued from there. Partner and I talked a couple of innings after that, but I didn't bring up Rule 10. Given how it played out, I thought I'd let this one sit in his craw a while. He knew he messed it up, so I left it at that.

The team that the call went against mounted a rally in the top of the 7th and ultimately came up 1 run short. Hindsight being 20-20, they may have had a big inning killed in that earlier inning.