Thread: Out or Safe?
View Single Post
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
A dead ball with all other runners awarded the base you think they would have gone to, or you're bringing runners back? Say you've got a runner 5 or 20 feet from Home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The rule you would be using to kill the ball here would also direct you to place runners where you think they belong. No way would any umpire worth his salt let the defense gain advantage by killing the ball this way.
Bingo. The base I think they would have earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I'd like to hear more about the dead ball call, and why. Particularly, as someone noted, if there are other active runners.

Obs = DDB
Int = DB

If DB, then must have been Int. If Int, the runner is out.

That doesn't parse my logic meter...

Perhaps the ball just remains live until playing action ceases? Sort out the guy being knocked off the base during a time out?
Here's the deal. No way can you NOT call a runner out off the base while being tagged, and keep the ball live. If you are ruling safe, you have to kill the ball, or else nothing makes sense. The defense has done something wrong (not obstruction by rule, because a player in possession cannot obstruct), but you simply cannot allow the defense to gain by that obviously inappropriate action.

So let's say you equate it to obstruction. Can't be, but certainly equivalent. Isn't it a dead ball when the obstructed runner is (apparently) tagged out? Delayed until then (or end of play), but dead in that instance. To me, the same logic should apply. And, the same ruling applying to other runners, awarded the bases judged where they belong, not dead and returned to last base touched.