View Single Post
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary77 View Post
I believe running OOB under the basket to get around defenders also falls under the rule above and is illegal in high school, but yet I very seldom see it get called. I'm among the guilty here since in my 8 years of HS officiating, I've only called this once and both the player and coach had no clue what I was calling. I tried my best to explain to the coach that this is a violation, but he wasn't buying it.

This past season, in a Boys Soph game, I had the same player do it maybe 3 times during the first half. I passed on all of them. During half time, I discussed with the coach that this is illegal, he didn't challenge me, and I asked him to tell his player not to do it again. Never happened again in the 2nd half. I'm sure some will frown at how I handled this situation. I might add that in all instances where the player violated, there was no significant advantage gained imho.

Not sure about NCAA, but I think it's legal in the NBA since it happens all the time.
The only thing that is illegal under NBA rules is for an offensive player leaving the court on the endline, for the purpose of setting a screen, in one's frontcourt. It's a violation and the ball is awarded to the defense at the free throw line extended.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue May 22, 2012 at 07:32pm.