View Single Post
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary77 View Post
Fascinating discussion here. I like what JRutledge started here. Instead of officiating based on what we think the rule should be, we officiate on how the rule is currently written and lobby for rule changes. Speaking of lobbying, is there a process (or a lobbyist) for the officiating community to the NFHS Basketball Board to propose rule changes like these? Imho, the perspective of those of us who apply the rules to the game (and actually read the rule book every year) is important and needs to be on the table.
That is actually not what I said or suggested. I simply said if the coach wants a break from the official, follow the rule. The rule says not to stand except for some very specific and brief situations when you have to sit as a coach. I am sure no one really cares if a coach stands briefly and hardly noticed that is not allowed by rule. I know I have had to tell assistants or players to sit down Also despite some here, there is such thing as called the "spirit of the rules." Now this is listed in the actual rulebook as the motivation of how to call rules. I am sure someone on the committee is not going to suggest we call a player running out of bounds on their own volition (not with the ball of course) if only their toe is touching the line as compared to going completely around a screen the same way. Also many rules have interpretations (and a casebook) that say exactly what and how they want certain rules to be applied.

Peace