View Single Post
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 08:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Game 2 of Varsity doubleheader yesterday. Runner on 2nd w/2 outs. I am at "C" position. Ball is hit sharply to F6. I stay put with eyes on ball (I expected the throw to go to 1st). R2 breaks for 3rd. F6 throws high to F5. R2 tries to go low and around (to HP side of F5). Runner was not out of his baseline. Attempted tag in chest area of runner. Since I have no x-ray vision, I am shielded pretty well from the tag/no tag. I take a mental picture of play but before signaling I breifly look (less than a second) to HP to see if he could help. He couldn't/didn't. I make the call. Coach complains more about the pause than the call. In postgame debrief, HP said I got the call right.
Obviously this is my primary call. How can I do better?
When a coach is bellyaching about how I made a call or my positioning instead of the call itself, I have been known to say something along the lines of, "So you're saying you didn't like my positioning/pause, but I don't hear you saying you think I missed it. I agree with you. My positioning/mechanics weren't the best, but I feel I got it right, coach."