View Single Post
Old Sun May 20, 2012, 09:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Thanks for the advice all.
Achieving a 45 deg view was pretty hard in this case due to the quickness/unpredictable nature that this play developed (I overheard the coach chastize his F6 for not going to 1st like he should have and like I expected) . I have also been concentrating lately on being stationary at the time of viewing the play. This may have actually hurt me in this case. A moving 45 degree view would probably been preferable to the stationary, not-so-good view.
I also will not be tempted to hope my partner could bail me out for my misfortune. I'll make a quick call and take my lumps.
Always anticipate the unexpected play, then you'll never get caught off-guard. Don't necessarily make a "quick" call, just a decisive one...sell it if you have to on bangers like that if they're that close. And even a couple steps toward the 45 degrees gives the perception that you were moving into better position. Remember, you should only look for help on a swipe tag/pulled foot at 1st base only, and then as sparingly as possible. I made the mistake of asking on a similar play at 3rd base once a long time ago, and got a glare and a "Not my call" response from the wiser, more experience PU. Never did it again.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25