View Single Post
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 05:32pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Called in TX up til 1990 and that is how we did it. The coaches got to pick one umpire to work the series and then the other two were assigned by the state association.

But, that was a long time ago and you made big money in the playoffs then so it was an honor to work. We got paid fees, plus travel, and then a % of the gate. Was great to work a game and get paid 300+ per game etc.,

Hello, there might be a reason they didn't pick your association to work the playoffs ...

thanks
David
Yes, you can make big money when you get to the regional finals or higher. However, the same officials make the big money every year. Even had one umpire who is the assigner's son, who gets to work several games, complain that they didn't start taking gate fees until about 10 minutes until game time. Then I've seen umpires who were homers on their calls, probably because they want to be "chosen". I've also seen a four man crew come out in red shirts, and obviously didn't know rotations in the four man.. They also missed several balks when one of the teams pitcher was working from the windup with runners on base. And this was in the later rounds of the playoffs. One coach picked me one year, but for some reason I didn't get assigned. I didn't know until the coach mentioned it the following year.