Thread: Obstruction
View Single Post
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stiff View Post
It was a close play at the plate. I actually thought she was safe because the catcher swiped the tag and it looked from my angle that she missed the tag, but I don't argue judgement calls. As a football referee of 32 years, I know I don't appreciate coaches who scream and yell, so I act accordingly.

Dave's explanation was very good. Thank you. The main thing is, that as a coach, I will no longer automatically waive the runner home if that happens again. I have learned something.
The reason I asked how close the play was is because that should be some indication as to whether the umpire should have "protected" your runner all the way to home plate. When a runner is obstructed and thrown out on a very close play, you can almost always bet that the runner should be awarded that base. Obstruction is a rule of equity, so he should protect the runner to the base she would have had had she not been obstruction. The umpire doesn't have to make up his mind immediately at the time of the obstruction. He can let the play continue and use what happens as evidence as to what base the runner who have received had she not been obstructed.

Umpires are (should be) taught to err on the side of protecting the runner too far rather than not far enough. Otherwise, the defense might as well obstruct every runner that they have no chance of getting out.