View Single Post
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Aren't they called Northern Lights; and it doesn't get dark in Alaska at certain times of the year, right?
Right now official sundown is about 1030pm.. we don't have lights on a single softball field in the state. Only once have I had to suspend a game due to darkness.. was a slowpitch tournament in the fall when it is getting dark a bit earlier and it was overcast which didn't help. Bottom of last inning due to time limit and visitors up by a big number. Home starts hitting the ball. And hitting.. and hitting.. and we have two outs but they just won't quit.. started inning down by 20ish but have now pulled to within 5 and it is evident the infielders are beginning to have a hard time seeing the ball in the dusk. I suspend the game.

It was a loser out game..and just one out left. The tournament director scheduled it to resume 30 mins before the first scheduled game on Sunday morning. The home team failed to show up! I guess they decided it wasn't worth getting up early for a game that could have ended with just one pitch.