View Single Post
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Help Understanding Some Softball Questions

Hi there...I am a first year softball umpire, but 4 year baseball umpire. Rules are different in some aspects. I am having some trouble comprehending some questions from the 2012 ASA Umpire Exam. I have researched the manual but still confused on some questions. Could I get a softball umpire with experience to help me answer and understand these questions.

See below:

1. With no outs and R1 on first base, B2 hits a grounder to F4 who attempts to tag R1 but R1 reverses directions and runs back to first base. The umpire rules a dead ball and R1 out.

My answer: False. The runner would be out only; not a dead ball.
----------
2. With no outs, R1 on second base and R2 on first base, B3 hits the ball up the middle for a base hit. An errant throw to F2 allows R1 to score. F2 retrieves the ball but the on-deck batter interferes with F2 who is attempting to tag R2. The umpire rules a dead ball at the time of interference, R2 is out and B3 must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

My answer: True because "dead balls" are called on runners, batter-runners, etc.
----------
3. In cold weather, a player puts a warming sleeve on a bat. The umpire should allow usage of that bat because the warming sleeve did not change the characteristics of the bat as produced by the manufacturer.

My answer: I don't know what to answer. I looked at Rule 3, section 1.
----------
4. (SP Only) If the EP is used, the team may drop down to 10 players and go back to 11 players as many times as they have legal substitutes.

My answer: Rule 4, section 1.3 I do not know how to answer this.
----------
5. It is not interference if a runner intentionally hits a deflected batted ball with their elbow while running the bases.

My answer: False. Would this be considered a dead ball?
----------