View Single Post
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER View Post
Not much of an Umpire if he allowed a mistake to go uncorrected. We see this often in MLB and it drives me crazy.
Actually, he is not much of an umpire if he just charges in to the rescue, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
I've been taught the most important thing is to get it right. The players should not be penalized for an umpire not knowing the rules, especially if his/her partner(s) knows the decision is wrong. Another thing I've been taught, NEVER bring a rule book onto the field (coach or umpire). If you're not sure, look it up during your post-game with your partner.
If that is the "most important thing", there is still a process that must be followed.

Any umpire manual I've ever read has been very clear... you do not overrule your partner's call. As Mike said, you can try to get his attention, but you don't go charging in to the rescue without being asked by your partner.

Whenever this topic comes up, many of us seem to ignore the role the coach has to play in this. The coach should know what I said above... one umpire cannot overrule another... and he should know the process to follow to get the other umpire involved. If the coach is convinced the umpire is incorrect in rule application, the coach should protest the ruling. This should result in an umpire conference, where the correct ruling will hopefully be arrived at. Note that this "on field" protest is always available, even when protests to the league, association, commissioner, etc., are not allowed.

The coach, knowing the ruling was wrong, should have done his part, too, to ensure a proper ruling.

Last edited by Dakota; Mon May 07, 2012 at 12:43pm.