Thread: Quick Whistle
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Okay heres what happened this weekend in a girls club (16's) that I was coaching this weekend.

Encouraging team unity I tell my girls to come to the middle after every play and do a quick cheer. After doing so the next server would pick up the ball and walk back to the service zone. Well about 5 points into the match my next server picked up the ball and started walking back. Before she was in the service zone the ref blew the whistle for serve. I quickly jumped up in protest and he just continued to count. So the server ran back and got of the serve before he called her for eight seconds. I after the play my captain asked him what was up with that and he said she was taking to long and its either a quick whistle or a card for a team delay.
For the rest of our matches all day he was giving our team and maybe one other girl from another team this quick whistle. I then talked to the head official at the tournament and she said the girl must be in the service zone before he can blow the whistle for serve. Unfortunatley she could not watch to see what was going on because she had her own match to officiate. This guy even one time blew the whistle before my server had the ball in her hands. After many words were said and all the days matches were over he quickly grabbed his stuff and took off out of the gym. Like he was late for something. Absolutely ridiculous.
What can a coach do when an official is not thinking about what is best for the girls (that is why we are out there right to ensure these girls get the best experince possible) and he is just worried abotu finish the match quick so he can leave.
By even the opponents coaches we played that day were awstruck abotu what he was doing to us.