View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I'm not disagreeing with the logic everyone is using. However, directly from the NCAA preseason test (Yes, I know the OP says OBR):

Quote:
R3, two outs. The batter hits a ground ball to F4. His throw is off-line pulling F3 into the running lane in front of first base. F3 and B/R collide as F3 is reaching for the throw. The collision is within the three-foot running lane. BR misses first because of the collision and advances to second on the bad throw. R3 scores on the play. The defense properly appeals that BR missed first.

a. BR is allowed to remain at second on the bad throw. The collision caused BR to miss first. Therefore, the missing of the base is ignored, which allows the run to score.
b. The umpire should have called obstruction when the collision occurred and placed the BR at first. R3 would either score or remain at third, depending on the umpire's judgment as to what would have happened if the obstruction had not occurred .
c. The appeal is allowed. BR is out and no run scores.
d. The umpire should have called interference when the collision occurred and declared BR out for the third out of the inning.
Correct Answer: c. (5-6c (1))

I got the question wrong because I don't think you can fault the runner but the NCAA I guess thinks you can.

-Josh