View Single Post
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 11:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
"I carry my stopwatch out on the field"

Say What??!!!!

Did 28 HS games this season and not one of them did I need to enforce a clock rule. Even the 3 -15 min game.

Sometimes you just have to umpire. And for God sakes please don't bring the watch on the field anymore. That is like reading the rulebook while in position, in between pitches. You are going to be skinned alive.
I would be *thrilled* if the NFHS went to a stopwatch like the NCAA has. I carry a stopwatch on the field for every NCAA game I work -- it's required equipment. If we hit 90 seconds before the pitcher starts his delivery on the first pitch, it's a ball. No warnings.

I haven't had to penalize this once this season. Because the pitcher and catcher HUSTLE to position and start warming up. And there's never, *never* a mound huddle after the ball gets thrown down because we'd have a violation every inning. I've taken to telling the catcher to feel free to go out and talk to the pitcher the first inning or if it's a new pitcher, but we don't need a huddle every inning -- they can talk in the dugout.

I don't see what's wrong with that, but an umpire can't be a lone wolf with stuff like this. An association, a state, or the NFHS must put such a protocol into place. But I do take pace of play seriously when I can.