View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Mike:

I agree with you 100%. While R3 cannot deliberately run over a Fielder who is illegally blocking his way to a Base he is trying to acquire, R3 is allowed to run at a speed that will allow him to beat the throw in his effort to reach a Base that he is trying to acquire where his path is not being Obstructed by a Fielder. AND, as the play was described, F2 was standing in such a manner that the R3 made contact with F2 an instant after he touched HP.
The catcher did not set up in a manner to impede the runner.

"F2 runs back to home and ends up setting up in foul territory on 3rd base line extended for the throw from F3. R3, running at full speed, steps on home plate and collides head-on with F2."

The onus is on the runner to avoid the collision. He could have slid, remember?

Quote:
Lets change the play slightly: No one on base and B1 lays down a bunt along the 3B FL. B/R1 runs at full speed toward 1B in order to beat F2's throw to F3. (Keep in mind that B/R1 is allowed to overrun 1B in this type of play and not be subject to being put out for not being in contact with the Base.) F4 positions himself immediately behind 1B so that B/R1 will make contact with him an instant after touching 1B.
From what you described, very different from the OP, you could probably be justified in calling OBS. The defender's action intentionally impeded the runner - he would have to slow down or alter his path since sliding into first is not the norm. First basemen do not ordinarily position themselves there to accept a throw, therefore OBS can be applied.

Quote:
That said, I would have no problem with charging F2 in the OP and F4 in my Play with Obstruction as their positioning caused the Runner to slow down so as to avoid a "train wreck" and was put out.

MTD, Sr.
Two different animals, Mark: R3 can slide - it is routine and expected on close plays at the plate. The catcher was set up 3BE, not an inch away from the plate. As he is watching for his throw, I protect his vulnerability and penalize the player who acts recklessly. In the OP, the runner did.

I recall a video showing this exact play right after the MC rule was established. The runner was called safe and then ejected for his MC.

I hope your season is going well.