View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
He didn't trash anybody. He said "I THINK..." followed by his thoughts that being a player helps someone differentiate...you obviously got offended by that. Why? Who knows...but saying he trashed some group of people simply because you disagree with his thoughts on the matter? That's ridiculous.

For the record, I disagree with his thoughts on the matter also...but that doesn't make his thoughts "crap".
Ok...fair enough...perhaps too strong of a reaction on my part. I've just met too many people that, just because they played, they think they're better. Unfortunately, the ones with that attitude often hit a wall that others, whether recent players or not, often pass right by.

Sure, it can help. But it doesn't establish the ceiling of how good an official can be...it just shifts the broad spectrum of the two overall groups relative to each other...but there is a dramatic amount of overlap in the ability levels and the best (and worst) can come from either group. It may shift the starting point such that former players may get a head start...but there is nothing they know that non-players can't learn.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 05:30pm.