View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 07:35am
Administrator

Mark, Jr.'s initiation to girls' fastpitch softball.

2012 isMTD, Jr.'s fifth year umpiring. When he started in 2008 he only wanted to umpire baseball and he took the OhioHSAA baseball umpiring class and passed with a near perfect score (insert proud papa here, ), but he wanted no part of umpiring fastpitch softball. I told him that even if he didn't umpire H.S. FP he should at least get ASA and USSSA registered for summer ball because on nights when there are not baseball games he can umpire FP games. He still insisted that he did not want to umpire FP and his mother, my wonderful better half backed him up; I registered him in ASA and USSSA anyway, .

His first game was with me: a girls' USSSA summer league game; I stuck him behind the plate. The pitchers couldn't hit the strike zone and the catcher's couldn't catch either. He was not a happy camper, . BUT, a few weeks later we umpired a USSSA girls' FP tournament where we umpired 12 games (12U and 14U age group games) together over two days where we made $32/game (cash) and he suddenly discovered he enjoyed umpiring girls' FP softball tournaments, .

To make a short story long, he still doesn't umpireH.S. FP but he may next year, but last summer he was chosen as the PU in the Ohio ASA Girls' FP State Tournament for the 10U Championship game (insert proud papa here, ). AND for our first H.S. games for the season this year I was umpiring a girls' varsity FP game while he was umpiring a boy's baseball game at the same school, and while we were driving to the game he gave me the refresher course on the DP/Flex rule, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio