View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalpost10 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, as well as being new to the world of umpiring. I umpire girls fast pitch softball, and have a question for you veterans out there about a game I did this weekend.

I did a 12U girls fast pitch game, and got beat up all game long. The major problem was that the catchers at this level can't catch all of the pitched balls. The pitchers were throwing at a decent speed for 12 years old, but regardless, when a ball hits you off the hand, or the wrist, or forearm... it hurts!

Is there anything that I can do to protect myself better? I started the game working the slot as always, but that left my wide open to be hit by pitches (sometimes they were strikes that came right through the zone and hit me right in the arm). I tried crouching down more to try to hide behind the catcher, but they are so small at this age, I'd almost be lying down on the ground.

Any help would be appreciated! I can't afford to spend all of my pay on ice and Advil to deal with the bumps and bruises!

Thanks,
Steve
Hiding behind the catcher is generally anathema, particularly because it blocks your view of the strike zone.
I find that the higher you hold your hands the fewer hits, IOW, in front of your stomach/lower ribs. Some umps put there hands behind them, but for me that throws my balance off and makes my signals awkward.
Yes, there are punishing games but the pain usualy goes away soon and seldom leaves a bruise or cut. That said, my two worst "hurts" were a broken bone in my hand (10&U) and a severely bruised elbow (14&U). But both cleared up in a day or so.
You will find with more experience that it hurts less.

Sorry you had such a beating early in your career.