View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 21, 2012, 07:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Jurassic Referee

It is with tears and a very heavy heart for me to announce the passing of Jurassic Referee.

JR died at 4:30am this morning with family at his side.

JR was a personal friend of mine - he was my first mentor. He was also the first mentor of other officials that came up through the ranks. His dedication was obvious to our officiating community. He was working for our local group right up until earlier this week.

Like a good teacher, he encouraged students to reach levels beyond what others (himself included) had earned. Numerous officials trained by JR have been successful at all levels: including college, university, local and provincial championships (and soon nationally), and provincial camps, including officials that have ranked #1 provincially. His support for officials was unmatched.

He, along with friends, have been recognized by our provincial board, for their leadership and commitment. He was in great company. There is a small group of men that trace their local basketball roots for over 55 years. JR was one of them, and set the standard in so many ways.

Basketball is only half the story; football is the other half.

We have lost a dear friend today. Woody, may you rest in peace and know the mercy of the Lord.