View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I am never offered 1 man games and would not accept. The few times I worked 1 man it was because partner did not show and both coaches agreed to go 1 man at plate meeting.

Last time it happened was about 4 or 5 years ago. I get a call from assigner at 2 PM, asked if I could do plate at a game nearby at 4. He did not tell me who partner was and I forgot to ask. At 330, no partner, at 350 no partner, so I start to plate. At plate meeting I tell both coaches I did not have this game until 2 PM, I don't know who my partner is, or where he is, but we have 3 choices. 1, we wait till he gets here, and I don't know when that will be. 2, we start with 1 ump and when he shows up he jumps in and if he don't show we finish with 1 ump. 3, we all go home. They both opted for 2. The game was 2-1 in 1:20 and the home team wrote me a game fee check for 1.5 times normal. The winning run scored on a come backer to pitcher with two out and man on 3b, instead of throwing home to get the advancing runner he lobbed one over to 1b for the 2nd out.

In 1 man you do the best you can and if the bases were loaded on a play I would not leave the plate area.

The only games that are assigned 1 man around here are coach pitch, or machine pitch, worked by umpires who don't shave.

Last edited by DG; Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 11:31pm.