View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Not hung up on anything. Just real obvious that there's nothing in the NBA Rules to support his "momentum" statement. That's why I asked for him, and not you or BNR, to clarify it. Instead, we got nothing.

Now, if if the rule doesn't exists and they call it that way because that's how they're told to call it, fine. But if that's true, then it's just another reason NBA officials take so much heat from owners, coaches, players, fans and the media. The NBA places officials at a disadvantage with that type of crap.

If that's the way you're going to call it, then put it in the damn book. There's no reason not to.
I agree, except with the NBA, there's a finite number of officials, hired by the same people who write and interpret the rules. It wouldn't be nearly as difficult to disseminate this interpretation to all of the officials as it would to high school or even college officials; none of whom are hired by the folks that actually write and interpret the rules (with the exception of 67 games at the end of the NCAA season.)

While I agree they should definitely make the rule match the interpretation, it's not as vital for the NBA as it is for the NFHS (like, say, the back court rule).