View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
For those of you that do, WHY do you do it?

(other than because you can)

How often do you do it?

Is it something you do with a seasoned partner or do you only do it with a rookie?

It's still something I would never do, and I would take great exception if it was called by the plate umpire while I was on the bases.

It's also one of those things that gets brought up at schools, and the consensus has always been that it's one of those things thats better left to the base umpire. (credibility).
I do it for the same reason a U3 has the runner leaving 1B early with the bases loaded or 1&3, because it is in my line of vision as I am watching the pitcher's feet.

We all have different angles and just because you are standing in a certain spot doesn't mean you can see everything you need to see for every call. I've worked 6-umpire games and while you can try to surround all the plays, it is still possible to not have the necessary angle to see the whole play.

This is why when I have a question and a crew comes off the field, I don't ask, "Why didn't you call (enter infraction here)?" I ask, "what did you see on this play?"

The crew is the team and they should work as such. I certainly wouldn't expect my partner to be sitting back behind the plate snickering, "what a putz! Moron should be calling that runner out for leaving early." Especially if it is something that even the concession lady saw from the next field.