Thread: Celtics play
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 11, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Eeek.

I've got a PC and two travels, even by NBE standards.
Well you're wrong on the first play. This is a blocking foul and this is an easy call under NBA rules (and is pretty damn close under NFHS/NCAA rules). A defender must allow a player who receives a pass outside the lower defensive box the opportunity to land and stop and/or change direction. The defender in the above play did not do that thus, he did not have a legal position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
PC, but I'm not 100% sure on the travel at the end of Lebron's drive. Remember that the NBA changed their traveling rule to allow 2 steps after establishing a pivot foot. That means (I think) that you can establish a pivot foot, step with the other foot (thus lifting the pivot) and then step again (placing the pivot back on the floor) and this is legal.

And I think that's what Lebron did at the end of that drive. It's hard to see exactly when he gathers the ball, but I think he only steps twice after gathering.
A player is allowed two steps after they've gathered the ball....not after they've established a pivot foot. The first step occurs after the player has gathered the ball and takes a step. So for example, a player gathers the ball with a left foot on the floor...step one occurs when he steps with the right foot...step two occurs when he steps with the left foot. In that case, the right foot is the pivot foot. And the first example, that would be a travel under NCAA/NFHS rules. Second example: Player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor. Player steps with the right foot (step 1), then jumps off the right foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (considered step 2). This is a travel under NFHS/NCAA rules but a legal play under NBA rules (and the player wouldn't be able to pivot afterward). Third example...player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor....he jumps off that left foot and lands on both feet simultaneously (considered step 1). Player is allowed to pivot here but wouldn't under NFHS/NCAA rules.

As to the second play, I have nothing at the beginning of the dribble. Player gathered the all with the left foot on the floor, steps with the right, the starts the dribble as the 2nd foot comes to the floor. I do have a travel at the end of the dribble though as I have the player gathering the ball in mid air, stepping with the right foot (step 1), stepping with the left foot (step 2), then stepping with the right again (step 3).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Wed Apr 11, 2012 at 12:09pm.