View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Notes made on another site:

The catcher did not "charge" up the line toward the runner as some who are trying to justify the runner's actions claim. That catcher moved around the batter, took two steps and squared to the approaching runner. The catcher was standing at the front left corner of the BB. To me, that is not up the line.

For those who believe the runner had no choice, watch the replay. The runner was NOT even close to halfway to home when the catcher received the ball. She had five steps once the catcher moved into the BB.

AFA the ejection is concerned, there is never a need for theatrics, let alone a mechanic. You tell the player's coach, the opposing coach and the scorekeeper why there is a substitute entering the game. If there is an announcer, the scorekeeper will communicate that, if possible. If not, the PU may inform that individual.

It's been years since I've pointed or waved my arm on an ejection. It is like a walk. The player knows where they need to go, I don't need to show them the way.

The environment can be tense and electric enough without the umpire adding to the excitement.
Mike, there was a directive given to NCAA umpires (maybe 2006 or 2007) about making a very overt ejection signal. This was in response to a renewed emphasis to sportsmanship. Our directive was to give a counter point to the "coach ejects himself or herself." We were to demonstrate that we interpreting their behavior as non sporting and worthy of ejection. That is not to say that we were to give the big "heave-ho" like in an Earl Weaver confrontation.

However, you are correct that this ejection is not a time to even give an ejection signal. The ejection follows the infraction:
Quote:
12-14-2 In order to prevent injury and protect the defensive player attempting to make a play on a base runner, the base runner must be called out if she remains on her feet and deliberately, with great force, crashes into a defensive player holding the ball and waiting to apply a tag. In order to prevent a deliberate crash ruling, the base runner can slide, jump over the top of the defender holding the ball, go around the defender (if outside the runner's lane, the base runner would be called out) or return to the previous base touched.

EFFECT—The ball is dead. The base runner is called out for deliberately crashing into a fielder, even if the ball is dislodged. If the base runner deliberately crashed into a fielder holding the ball before she was put out and, in the umpire's judgment, it was an attempt to break up an obvious double play, the offender and player being played on shall both be declared out. If the deliberate crash occurs after the base runner was called out, the base runner closest to home plate will also be declared out. If an obstructed base runner deliberately crashes into a fielder holding the ball, the obstruction call will be ignored, and the base runner will be called out.

Note: If the act is determined to be flagrant, the offender will be ejected.
My critique of this play is that PU should have come up with a big "DEAD BALL" and then administered his ruling.