View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Quote from the article "There are far too many charges awarded to help defenders, and most of the charge/block calls you see are simply wrongly decided by officials. It is out of control, and I have not heard any coaches disagree with that assertion. The charge call has become a major problem in college basketball, and it needs to be addressed with all deliberate speed."

The only way I can see fixing this one is changing the rule to say that the defender must have LGP before the offensive player goes into their shooting motion (ie gathers). This would reduce a lot of the help-side charges that most people have issues with.
I've heard a lot about the block/charge in college basketball recently, and I am of the opinion that it isn't the way this play is being called, it is the lack of movement on the part of the players. I actually had this conversation with a very successful JUCO coach, and he is not a fan of the "4 out" offenses that many teams run, where basically you drive the ball at the basket, and kick the ball out or take it to the rim. It is his contention that it isn't fair to officials because it basically forces us to affect the game by either calling the block, charge, or deciding the contact was incidental. Most assignors want a whistle of some sort on this type of contact, so we are seeing more block/charge calls.

Since the game is played more and more at the rim or beyond the 3 point arc, we have to make more decisions on the block/charge than ever before. Compound that with coaches who teach taking the charge (commonly referred to as the flop ) and we are making this decision very often. Thoughts?