View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
That's somewhat prominently printed on the IAABO pregame conference card provided to their affiliated officials. It was also part of many of the NCAA pregame conference clips that are posted on this forum.

I like the simplicity of the phrase and it's something that ought to be easily understood by players (and coaches).

Would anyone consider adding that phrase to their HS pregame? Does anyone already do so?

It seems to me that it's a much better discussion/talking point in a pregame coaches/captain's meeting than to ask if everyone is wearing a legal uniform.
I'm going to start using this in my pregame with partners, but I'm not overly confident that it'll help in the pregame with players or coaches. If anything, it's going to set you up just as much as offering that you're going to be calling hand checks. As soon as the coach thinks you missed a foul, he now has your own words to throw at you even if it doesn't fit the situation.

Sometimes, the kids pay attention to my request to take care of their knuckleheads (it's good to see a captain talk his teammate off the ledge). Sometimes, the coaches heed my request to have their teams ready at the second horn (I've noticed a correlation anyway). But other than that, there's no point in saying anything that's not required, IMO.