Thread: National C'Ship
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 05, 2012, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I have to ask, what's the substantive difference between FOM and RSBQ? They're both just different ways to say "prevented from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements." Don't get me wrong , I think they're great thought processes; but I find the insistence on a distinction on when to use which term to be silly. It's sort of like all the responses that come when someone says a coach "called" a timeout, or worrying about "baseline" vs "endline."
I respect that Snaqs.

But the substantive difference is:

RSBQ pertains to the ball handler & FOM applies to all players (offense & defense).

We did watch the captains meetings videos I shared with you guys last week, didnt we? I swear they said FOM applies to everybody. Chucks, holds, wraps, re-routes generally apply to FOM.

If the rhythm, speed, balance & quickness of a defender or offensive player without the ball is affected, it may or may not be a foul. They might recover quickly & be able to participate in normal defensive or offensive movements.
Or, it might not even have a bearing on the play ie; marginal screening infraction on the weakside that stumbles the defender, but the ball is already strongside in the post & a poster shot is imminent.
I'd like to see somebody call that foul & take away the dunk based on the RSBQ philosophy!! As a matter of fact, I'd LOVE to see that & hear the conversation with the coach as well

If the rhythm, speed, balance & quickness of the ball handler is affected, this is an absolute, an immediate whistle is required.

And that folks, is the substantive difference