Thread: Thanks ...
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
How is it big timing it (I know, not your words)? Basketball is basketball...just because a certain level handles a play differently doesn't mean one can't use a clip and apply whatever standards are dictated for a level of play.

And the benefit I find in using plays from NCAA and NBA games is that we're afforded multiple angles to see plays...all in HD. There's only so much one can see and tell from the usual view we get at the high school level.
The same organization that I run the basketball class that I founded, runs a football class as well. I am one of the lead instructors at a cite for that football class and we use video of college and pro all the time. Now the rules in football (as you know APG) are drastically different from an application standpoint. But the basic football rules are the exact same at all levels, but the college and pro has different applications. For example the same action might be a penalty at all levels, but college ranks it is an automatic first down at and the pro level the foul is enforced from the previous spot instead of the succeeding spot. All we have to do is explain that to the class and observers.

And in pro and college games many games have 10 cameras at each game and we can see multiple angles. This class is for very new officials and they often do not know better, but it helps them see what the rules state rather showing PowerPoint wording and hoping they understand. It usually enhances discussion and keeps everyone engaged in the discussions as well. I would not give a presentation without video if I can help it.

Peace