View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
...and this is the crux of the issue....

6-1-f3 exception states that if the batter hits the ball fair or foul or becomes a runner, that an option is given.

The term "runner" is not defined in the NFHS book.

If you go to rule 8, Batter-Runner and Runner, 8-1-2b says that the batter is awarded first base when hit by a pitched ball (absent the exceptions) and that the ball is dead. What this seems to say to me is that the batter never becomes a batter-runner, but becomes a runner when she reaches first base and the ball is back in play.

I was initially leaning toward giving the option, but now think that I would just award first base and be done with it.
That was my dilemma, also (for pretty much the same reason- the question of did she actually become a runner) - and my first decision (and ruling on the field) was that she did not and that no option was given.

Upon second guessing myself, and thinking about "with the book/by the book", I started wondering why we would essentially did-advantage the offended team. That is when I decided that I should have given the option.

To me this is a good example of the letter of the rule vs. the spirit of the rules question as pertains to the rule and definition of runner.....