View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 12:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: What would you have done?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Rut, once again you make a good point. I takes about 25 officials to work the local playoffs. Therefore, the commissioner was in trouble. I did not like the solution they used and criticized it, however I failed to give an alternative or state what I would have liked to see done. Not that they would have listened to me, since I was one of those 3 guys with little seniority, but I should have done so.
Since you asked, I would have made the next 15 best scores eligible and gone with those 25.
Since one cannot pull out a rulebook on the court and look up a rule, I don't support allowing officials to use one during a rules knowledge test. I also don't like the T or F format of the NF test, I like the IAABO one that gives a play and the call and asks "Is the official correct?"
I'm for making the test as close to a real game situation as possible.
That is why I have always been opposed to using test as single determiners for playoff or advancement purposes. Yes you need to know the rules, but as you say you do not have the benefit of looking something up while the game is going on. And I really agree that they need to get much more detailed to test true knowledge. Now your boards process might not have been fair, but I understand why they did that. You do not want guys out there that only can pass a test and doing games that are of that magnitude. Not to suggest that you could not have done a good job, but if anything screwy would have taken place, they would have blamed your experience level.

Peace